Tools & Education
JELD-WEN’s goal is to be the industry leader in environmentally responsible practices and to conduct our business in a manner that demonstrates environmental stewardship. We believe that a healthy environment and healthy business practices go hand in hand.
Our environmental stewardship philosophy manifests in many ways:
- We design and produce long-lasting, energy-saving windows and doors.
- Our manufacturing process utilizes recycled waste materials.
- We manufacture close to markets to minimize fuel consumption and greenhouse gas emissions.
- We utilize environmentally sustainable development and management practices in our resort communities.
Partnerships and Accreditations
NAHB Green Approved
The following products manufactured by JELD-WEN have been approved for points toward National Green Building Certification to the ICC 700 -2008 National Green Building Standard for residential construction:
- SFI® - or FSC® - qualified ENERGY STAR® wood windows and patio doors with AuraLast®Wood
- ENERGY STAR® qualified vinyl windows and patio doors
- No Added Formaldehyde (NAF) molded wood composite interior doors
Scientific Certification Systems
One way JELD-WEN supports sustainable construction is by using recycled materials in the production of our Molded interior doors. In fact, door slabs are Scientific Certification Systems (SCS) certified with a specified pre-consumer recycled content, depending on model. Recycled content percentages refer to the door slab and do not include the door frame and frame components.
- All hollow core JELD-WEN interior passage doors contain a minimum of 25% pre-consumer recycled wood fiber content. Download Certificate SCS-MC-03033
- All hollow core JELD-WEN interior bifold doors contain a minimum of 22% pre-consumer recycled wood fiber content. Download Certificate SCS-MC-03034
- JELD-WEN molded door skins, a component of JELD-WEN interior doors, contain a minimum of 35% pre-consumer recycled wood fiber content. Download Certificate SCS-MC-01117
Sustainable Forestry Initiative®
We support the land stewardship ethics of the Sustainable Forestry Initiative. We hold SFI Chain of Custody certification, which governs all changes of custodianship of forest-based products during the harvesting, transportation, processing and distribution from the forest to end-use. Third-party inspections are conducted by PricewaterhouseCoopers, an independent auditing firm. As a result, we offer (SFI) certified AuraLast® Wood for our wood windows and patio doors.
Forest Stewardship CouncilTM
JELD-WEN has earned and maintained Forest Stewardship Council (FSC®) Chain of Custody certification at certain facilities, allowing us to offer FSC-certified wood doors and windows. As a result, we offer FSC certified AuraLast Pine Wood for our windows and patio doors. FSC promotes environmentally appropriate, socially beneficial and economically viable management of the world’s forests.
JELD-WEN strives to utilize suppliers who adhere to these practices in their harvest and replanting operations. Wood for many FSC -labeled JELD-WEN products is sourced through the company’s sawmill, which is also certified through FSC®. (FSC C100683)
JELD-WEN has implemented measures to avoid sourcing the following:
- Wood harvested illegally
- Wood harvested in violation of traditional and civil rights
- Wood harvested from forests where high conservation values are threatened by management activity
- Wood harvested from forests being converted to plantations or non-forest use Wood harvested from forests in which genetically modified trees are planted
Green Building InitiativeTM
JELD-WEN is a board member of the Green Building Initiative (GBI). GBI is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to accelerate the adoption of building practices that result in energy-efficient, healthier, and environmentally sustainable buildings by promoting credible and practical green building approaches for residential and commercial construction.
GBI administers Green Globes®, an online, interactive green rating and assessment tool. Green Globes is an affordable way to identify strategies that help improve a new or existing building’s overall environmental performance.
Green Building Council®
JELD-WEN is also proud to be a member of the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) and creates many windows and doors that may help a building project earn LEED certification.
SmartWay® Transport Partnership
JELD -WEN is excited to be part of the SmartWay® Transport Partnership an innovative collaboration between the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and industry. The program’s goal is to significantly reduce greenhouse gas emissions related to freight operations. To be a SmartWay® partner, JELD-WEN has agreed to continue to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, a top priority of its fleet and SmartWay partner carriers.
Changes made to JELD-WEN’s transportation vehicles include speed regulation, reduced idling time, and increased efficiencies in pickup and delivery scheduling, in addition to reduced energy use and improved shipping and operating costs. JELD-WEN demonstrates its strong environmental leadership and corporate responsibility by contributing to the Partnership’s goal of reducing carbon dioxide levels by 33 to 66 million metric tons annually and up to 200,000 tons of nitrogen oxide per year, while improving the environmental performance of its freight operations.
Download the complete JELD-WEN Environmental Stewardship Statement (PDF)