Tools & Education
JELD-WEN architectural consultants cover the U.S.
If you are a building professional, find out which consultant represents your region.
If you are not a building professional, but still would like assistance please use the contact us form located here or call 800-877-9482.
Saxon’s Jewelers, Bend, Oregon
A project which endeavored to revitalize the existing Power House and Fuel buildings in the Bend, Oregon Old Mill District, these adjacent historic buildings were renovated into an REI Outfitters and a Saxons retail jewelry store.
Both original buildings are located on the site of one of the largest sawmill operations in the world at one time. The two buildings team in comprising elements of Bend’s landmark Old Mill District project, offering a rich history along with spectacular mountain views and scenic river vistas. The project developer bucked convention by renovating rather than rebuilding these historic buildings.
Among the challenges the project team encountered included installation details in old brick openings, large window sizes and matching the original product design.
JELD-WEN’s Architectural Services Group assisted in the design of an efficient system for application on the original brick facing incorporating factory applied trim, eliminating the need for field applied trim.
JELD-WEN also provided window design details which closely replicated the original, without the need for costly custom extrusions. The historic Fuel Building retrofit features a JELD-WEN entry door with copper clad panels and Chestnut Bronze frame.
- Custom Wood Epic® Double-Hung Windows (fixed) with AuraLast® Wood (pine)
- Six-inch clad spread mulls to replicate original appearance
- Mix of Cottage style and traditional double-hung windows to mimic original design
- Custom Wood Epic Commercial Entry Doors with Copper Cladding and matching sidelights
- Factory applied aluminum brickmould customized for use within existing masonry openings
- Architect: Ron Henderson, CIDA Architecture – Portland, OR
- BTL Engineering – Woodinville, WA
- Builder: Keeton-King Construction – Sisters, OR
- Developer: Bill Smith – Bend, OR