Window Safety at Home
When it comes to home safety, windows provide a crucial escape and rescue route (“egress”) in the case of a fire or an emergency. Because egress windows require a relatively large opening, homeowners must take measures to prevent accidental window falls. With JELD-WEN® Window Opening Control Devices (WOCD), homeowners now have more ways to improve the prevention of window falls.
JELD-WEN, a member of the National Safety Council’s Window Safety Task Force, reminds homeowners to consider other safety measures, including:
- Close and lock your windows when children are around.
- Never depend on insect screens to prevent falls. Insect screens are designed to provide ventilation while keeping insects out. They will not hold a child’s weight against them.
- Be sure to keep furniture – or anything children can climb – away from windows.
- If you need ventilation, open only windows children cannot reach.
- Teach children not to play near windows.
- Unattended children run the greatest risk of falls and injuries. Nothing can substitute for responsible adult supervision.
The WOCD gives homeowners the ability to control, or limit, the window opening. This has a twofold benefit: 1) It helps prevent accidental falls and 2) It meets egress codes by providing emergency exits in certain rooms, such as bedrooms. The JELD-WEN WOCD automatically limits the window sash to less than 4-inches, and features a manual override mechanism for emergency escape and rescue. The device automatically resets after the sash has been fully closed.
The JELD-WEN WOCD is a factory-installed option that meets the ASTM F2090 standard as referenced in the 2006 and 2009 International Building Code (IBC), and International Residential Code (IRC). These devices are available for the following product lines from JELD-WEN:
- Custom Wood Double-Hung and Casement Windows
- Siteline EX Wood Double-Hung and Casement Windows
- Tradition Plus Wood Double-Hung and Casement Windows
- W-2500 Wood Double-Hung and Casement Windows
- Premium Vinyl Double-Hung, Single-Hung, Sliding and Casement Windows
- Premium Atlantic Vinyl Single-Hung and Casement Windows
If you consider after-market devices instead of factory-installed devices, be sure to ask for models that meet the ASTM F2090 standard. After-market devices are not integrated into the window design, which can distract from the appearance of your windows and obstruct views. For additional information about preventing falls from windows visit:
- Safety and Operating Instructions for Casement Windows
- Safety and Operating Instructions for Hung Windows
- Window Safety Overview
See what the pros see. Visit our Professional section to read more and watch a video on window opening control devices.
The information contained on this page is provided solely for general informational and/or educational purposes, and may not be applicable to all products, applications, climates, and other factors. Please consult with your licensed contractor, architect, dealer or local building code official for information relevant to your geographic region and project. JELD-WEN makes no representation or warranty that this information is applicable for your circumstances. JELD-WEN disclaims all liability associated with the use or transfer of this information.