About Patio Doors
About Patio Doors
Anatomy of a Patio Door
Choosing the right type of Patio Door depends primarily on the space you are designing for and how light and open you want it to look.
- Sliding – This type of patio door is perfect for nearly any patio or deck. It opens by sliding along horizontal tracks at the head and/or sill.
- Swinging – Add an element of drama to your home, on either a small or grand scale with a swinging patio door. This type includes French doors, which open in the middle.
- Folding – Sliding on an overhead track, these doors neatly fold away and open up an entire wall to the outdoors.
View our Patio Doors by Style
We combine high quality materials with a smart manufacturing process for durability and beauty.
- Aluminum – A lightweight and strong material that is a cost effective alternative to wood. This material is corrosion-resistant and performs well in most climates.
- Fiberglass – This material features both the feel and look of genuine wood, right down to the knots and cracks, with less upkeep. In fact, these doors are built to consistently withstand the rigors of any climate - hot or cold, wet or dry.
- Vinyl – A strong plastic material that is used for its durability, energy efficiency and ability to stand up to the elements. This material will never fade in color, flake, peel or rot.
- Wood – Wood comes from trees that grow in a variety of species, such as fir, pine, mahogany or alder. Each species has a range of characteristics, like grain, color and sap content, which contributes to its unique appearance.
- Clad-Wood – Like a coat of armor, cladding is a strong layer of metal on exterior wood patio doors, providing extra protection and low maintenance benefits with no exterior painting required.
JELD-WEN offers you choices when looking for windows and doors. Keep in mind when you choose your product, the dollar sign is an indicator of the general price of a particular product. Dollar sign ratings do not necessarily reflect all the options or services that might be available for each product, and some options or services may not be available in every location or for every product with a particular dollar sign rating.
- $ – These products focus on the budget conscious. The products meet the basic requirements for your project, while offering moderate aesthetic enhancements.
- $$ – These products distinguish themselves with additional options, features and benefits. There is a noticeable upgrade in terms of customizability and selection.
- $$$ – These luxury products exhibit an exceptionally high degree of options, features and customizability. They can be a standard design or an original masterpiece that feature elegant options, exceptional craftsmanship and meticulous detail.
How It’s Built
From choosing the right materials to putting it all together, we put quality and reliability first.
- Frames – We build our patio door frames to last, with solid construction to ensure a tight seal for better energy efficiency. We also offer several different frame types for new home and replacement projects.
- Building Codes – These are published ordinances that will regulate many aspects of your project, such as design loads, opening widths and material selection. Our doors are designed and tested with these local building codes in mind.
Style & Design
Patio doors can transform a wall and make you feel like you are outdoors.
- Design Styles – We know that distinctive homes deserve accuracy in every detail. From Art Deco to Victorian, we believe that doors are not just functional, but an essential part of enhancing the architectural style of your home.
- Choices for Your Entire Home – We offer a greater depth and breadth of window and door products than anyone else - from the outside to the inside of the home; that means you can create a unified look for your entire home.
- Divided Lites – Grilles on the exterior or interior side of a window or between the glass, create the illusion of separate window panes for an intriguing architectural element without sacrificing energy efficiency.
- Blinds Between the Glass – You’ll never have to worry about dusting or privacy with blinds sealed between our tempered safety glass.
- Retractable Screens – These screens retract into the frame when not in use, leaving you a clear, unobstructed view.
- Decorative Grilles - A variety of architectural grille styles with operable grille functionality that swing open for quick and easy cleaning.
Energy and the Environment
At JELD-WEN, we put our concern for the environment into everything we do, so that energy savings and peace of mind are built right into your home.
- ENERGY STAR® – We have been an ENERGY STAR partner since 1998, and offer a wide variety of windows and doors that meet or exceed their standards.
- Green Building Initiative – We belong to the Green Building Initiative, which promotes credible and practical green building approaches to residential and commercial construction.
- Locally Sourced – We build your windows and doors in the nearest facility, and source our materials locally whenever possible, in to reduce our carbon footprint and support local economies.
- Reduced VOCs – We are a leader in reducing volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions, resulting in fewer toxins being emitted in the air in both the manufacturing process and the products in your home.
- Sustainable Products - Our Custom Wood patio doors offer Juniper, which has been identified as an "invasive specie" in certain regions and is an environmentally sound choice for a couple of reasons. First, since Juniper is typically seen as a throwaway wood, using it to make doors prevents waste. Using Juniper also removes the threat it can cause to our native forests and grasslands due to its high water consumption.
We offer more glass options than you can imagine, from subtly textured to boldly colored. These options let you add individuality to our doors while increasing natural light and energy efficiency in your home.
- Energy Efficient Glass – Stay cool in summer, warm in winter, and protect furniture against fading from sunlight. Look for our ENERGY STAR qualified doors for increased energy savings.
- Protective Glass – Your home should be protected from dangers such as storms, intruders, fire, loud noises and wear on the products. Selecting glass options such as impact resistant glass, tempered glass, sound reducing glass and options that protect the glass help accomplish these goals.
- Textured Glass - Add a distinctive touch to our doors with textured glass, which lets in light while maintaining privacy.
- Tinted Glass – Our tinted glass is ideal for climates with intense sunlight. It reduces glare and visible light transmittance.
- Decorative Glass - This glass will brighten your home without compromising privacy. With all the decorative glass designs we offer, there is sure to be one to match your home's architectural style.
Care & Maintenance
Our patio doors are designed to deliver reliable performance and they will endure for many years to come with the proper care and maintenance. Please review this information to learn how to properly care for your patio doors.
View our Care & Maintenance Guides
It is vital to correctly install and finish our patio doors, so we've provided instructions to help you. If you are not sure of your patio door model, search for it on the website or contact Customer Support.
View our Installation Instructions
As part of our continued commitment to quality, we back our patio doors with the best warranties in the industry. These warranties are very important and vary depending on products and options selected. Correct installation is also key. When installing products, you need to pay careful attention to making sure the patio doors are correctly installed and maintained or the warranty could be voided. Review the warranty for installation requirements, transferability and repair and replacement labor.
View our Warranty Information