About Interior Doors
About Interior Doors
Anatomy of an Interior Door
For Interior Doors, choosing the right style comes down to how much privacy, light or ventilation you want between rooms.
- All Panel – All panel doors connect two inside rooms or are used as a closet door; this door type does not have the strength, insulation or security requirements of an exterior door.
- Glass Panel – These types of doors allow for natural light to pass between rooms. In the 19th century, glass was being added to door construction, mainly in French and German homes, on interior doors leading to rooms containing more natural light, such as conservatories, glass houses and vestibules.
- Louver – A louver door is an opening with a series of horizontal slats, called louver boards, arranged sloping downward to permit ventilation but exclude rain, sunlight or vision. Louvers can be made in various shapes.
- Bifold – Bifold doors are a segmented, hinged door that folds and slides on a head track to the side when opened. This door was first used during the 19th century and is now usually used for closet doors.
View our Interior Doors by Style
We combine high quality materials with a smart manufacturing process for durability and beauty.
- Wood Composite – Made with a wood-based compound utilizes wood fibers, reconstituted wood or other wood derivative.
- Wood – Wood comes from trees that grow in a variety of species, such as fir, pine, mahogany or alder. Each species has a range of characteristics, like grain, color and sap content, which contributes to its unique appearance.
JELD-WEN offers you choices when looking for windows and doors. Keep in mind when you choose your product, the dollar sign is an indicator of the general price of a particular product. Dollar sign ratings do not necessarily reflect all the options or services that might be available for each product, and some options or services may not be available in every location or for every product with a particular dollar sign rating.
- $ – These products focus on the budget conscious. The products meet the basic requirements for your project, while offering moderate aesthetic enhancements.
- $$ – These products distinguish themselves with additional options, features and benefits. There is a noticeable upgrade in terms of customizability and selection.
- $$$ – These luxury products exhibit an exceptionally high degree of options, features and customizability. They can be a standard design or an original masterpiece that feature elegant options, exceptional craftsmanship and meticulous detail.
How It’s Built
From choosing the right materials to putting it all together, we put quality and reliability first.
- The Core – All of our doors look and feel solid, but may use different materials inside the core to improve its fire rating, soundproofing or structural integrity.
- The Skin or Surface – We give equal weight to durability and beauty in crafting the door’s skin or surface finish.
- Prehung – We offer prehung door packages to ensure an easy installation with a precise fit.
- Opening Method – We can provide different installation packages depending on how you want your doors to open, from the traditional hinged passage door, to pocket or bypass doors.
- Mirror Option – Add a built-in mirror to an interior door for your bathroom, dressing room or closet. It will save you space and let you check yourself out full-length before you leave the house.
- Building Codes – These are published ordinances that will regulate many aspects of your project, such as design loads, opening widths and material selection. Our doors are designed and tested with these local building codes in mind.
- Sound Reduction - Shut out unwanted noise by using doors with the quiet option. This option represents an affordable way to seek the sounds of silence.
Style & Design
Greet your guests in style with doors that bring out the personality of your home.
- Design Styles – We know that distinctive homes deserve accuracy in every detail. From Art Deco to Victorian, we believe that doors are not just functional, but an essential part of enhancing the architectural style of your home.
- Choices for Your Entire Home – We offer a greater depth and breadth of window and door products than anyone else - from the outside to the inside of the home; that means you can create a unified look for your entire home.
- Panels – Every door starts as a blank slate waiting for you to pick the number, shape and placement of panels to match your design vision.
- Sticking – We offer a variety of options for the Sticking, which is the detailing around the perimeter of the panels or glass on a door.
- Texture – From smooth or handhewn to distressed or hammered, the texture of a door can transform a door from modern to old world.
Energy and the Environment
At JELD-WEN, we put our concern for the environment into everything we do, so that energy savings and peace of mind are built right into your home.
- Green Building Initiative – We belong to the Green Building Initiative, which promotes credible and practical green building approaches to residential and commercial construction.
- Locally Sourced – We build your windows and doors in the nearest facility, and source our materials locally whenever possible, in to reduce our carbon footprint and support local economies.
- Reduced VOCs – We are a leader in reducing volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions, resulting in fewer toxins being emitted in the air in both the manufacturing process and the products in your home.
- Sustainable Products - Our Custom Wood doors offer Juniper, which has been identified as an "invasive specie" in certain regions and is an environmentally sound choice for a couple of reasons. First, since Juniper is typically seen as a throwaway wood, using it to make doors prevents waste. Using Juniper also removes the threat it can cause to our native forests and grasslands due to its high water consumption.
We offer more glass options than you can imagine, from subtly textured to boldly colored. These options let you add individuality to our doors while increasing natural light in your home.
- Protective Glass – Your home should be protected from dangers such as storms, intruders, fire, loud noises and wear on the products. Selecting glass options such as impact resistant glass, tempered glass, sound reducing glass and options that protect the glass help accomplish these goals.
- Textured Glass - Add a distinctive touch to our doors with textured glass, which lets in light while maintaining privacy.
- Tinted Glass – Our tinted glass is ideal for climates with intense sunlight. It reduces glare and visible light transmittance.
- Decorative Glass - This glass will brighten your home without compromising privacy. With all the decorative glass designs we offer, there is sure to be one to match your home's architectural style.
Add charm and architectural authenticity to your door with decorative accents. These decorative accents have a hand-forged appearance, which will add character to any design you select.
- Speakeasy Grilles - Available in various grille patterns and grille shapes, such as square and oval.
- Straps - These accents include corner, rail and radius straps with an aged look.
- Clavos - These were inspired by the functional bolt heads that were used in Medieval and Renaissance architecture. The shapes, finishes and hand-forged appearance of our clavos testify to the thoughtful artistry of another age.
- Decorative Grilles - A variety of architectural grille styles with operable grille functionality that swing open for quick and easy cleaning.
- Metallic Inlays - Subtle and intriguing, metal strips that are built into the door prove that contemporary doesn't have to feel cold.
Care & Maintenance
Our doors are designed to deliver reliable performance and they will endure for many years to come with the proper care and maintenance. Please review this information to learn how to properly care for your doors.
View our Care & Maintenance Guides
It is vital to correctly install and finish our doors, so we've provided instructions to help you. If you are not sure of your door model, search for it on the website or contact Customer Support.
As part of our continued commitment to quality, we back our doors with the best warranties in the industry. These warranties are very important and vary depending on products and options selected. Correct installation is also key. When installing products, you need to pay careful attention to making sure the doors are correctly installed and maintained or the warranty could be voided. Review the warranty for installation requirements, transferability and repair and replacement labor.
View our Warranty Information