JELD-WEN’s goals are to be the industry leader in socially responsible practices and to conduct our business in a manner that demonstrates environmental stewardship. At JELD-WEN, we believe that a healthy environment and healthy business practices go hand in hand.
Our environmental stewardship philosophy manifests in many ways:
- We design and produce long-lasting, energy-saving windows and doors.
- Our manufacturing process utilizes recycled waste materials.
- We manufacture products close to markets in order to minimize fuel consumption and greenhouse gas emissions.
Partnerships and Accreditations
NAHB Green Approved
The following products manufactured by JELD-WEN have been approved for points toward National Green Building Certification to the ICC 700 -2012 National Green Building Standard for residential construction:
- SFI® - or FSC® -qualified ENERGY STAR® wood windows and patio doors with AuraLast® Wood
- ENERGY STAR qualified vinyl windows and patio doors
SCS Global Services
One way JELD-WEN supports sustainable construction is by using recycled materials in the production of our Interior Molded Wood Composite doors. In fact, door slabs are SCS Global Services certified with a specified pre-consumer recycled content, depending on model. Recycled content percentages refer to the door slab and do not include the door frame and frame components.
- JELD-WEN interior passage doors contain an average 38% recycled content pre-consumer wood content and are certified for NAUF. Download Certificate SCS-MC-03033
- All hollow core JELD-WEN interior bi-fold doors contain an average 36% pre-consumer recycled wood fiber content. Download Certificate SCS-MC-03034
- JELD-WEN molded door skins, a component of JELD-WEN interior doors, contain an average 56% pre-consumer recycled wood fiber content. Download Certificate SCS-MC-01117 Download Certificate SCS-NAUF-03056
- Extira treated exterior panels and MiraTEC treated exterior composite trim are certified No Added Urea Formaldehyde (NAUF). Download Certificate SCS-NAUF-03641
Sustainable Forestry Initiative®
We support the land stewardship ethics of the Sustainable Forestry Initiative. We hold SFI Chain of Custody certification, which governs all changes of custodianship of forest-based products during the harvesting, transportation, processing and distribution from the forest to end-use. Third-party inspections are conducted by PricewaterhouseCoopers, an independent auditing firm. As a result, we offer (SFI) certified AuraLast® Wood for our wood windows and patio doors.
Forest Stewardship CouncilTM
JELD-WEN has earned and maintained Forest Stewardship Council (FSC®) Chain of Custody certification at certain facilities, allowing us to offer FSC-certified wood doors and windows. FSC promotes environmentally appropriate, socially beneficial and economically viable management of the world’s forests.
JELD-WEN strives to utilize suppliers who adhere to these practices in their harvest and replanting operations. Wood for many FSC -labeled JELD-WEN products is sourced through the company’s sawmill, which is also certified through FSC®. (FSC C100683)
JELD-WEN has implemented measures to avoid sourcing the following:
- Wood harvested illegally
- Wood harvested in violation of traditional and civil rights
- Wood harvested from forests where high conservation values are threatened by management activity
- Wood harvested from forests being converted to plantations or non-forest use
- Wood harvested from forests in which genetically modified trees are planted
For specific JELD-WEN FSC certifications visit http://info.fsc.org/certificate.php
Green Building InitiativeTM
JELD-WEN is a board member of the Green Building Initiative (GBI). GBI is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to accelerate the adoption of building practices that result in energy-efficient, healthier, and environmentally sustainable buildings by promoting credible and practical green building approaches for residential and commercial construction.
GBI administers Green Globes®, an online, interactive green rating and assessment tool. Green Globes is an affordable way to identify strategies that help improve a new or existing building’s overall environmental performance.
Green Building Council®
JELD-WEN is also proud to be a member of the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) and creates many windows and doors that may help a building project earn LEED certification.
LEED 2009 Credits
LEED v4 Credits
SmartWay® Transport Partnership
JELD -WEN is excited to be part of the SmartWay® Transport Partnership an innovative collaboration between the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and industry. The program’s goal is to significantly reduce greenhouse gas emissions related to freight operations. To be a SmartWay® partner, JELD-WEN has agreed to continue to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, a top priority of its fleet and SmartWay partner carriers.
Continuous improvements made to JELD-WEN’s transportation vehicles include implementing speed regulation, reducing idling time, and increasing efficiencies in pickup and delivery scheduling, in addition to reducing energy use and improving shipping and operating costs.
JELD-WEN demonstrates its strong environmental leadership and corporate responsibility by contributing to the Partnership’s achievements since 2004 which include: saving 120.7 million barrels of fuel (i.e., $16.8 billion savings in fuel costs), eliminating 51.6 million metric tons of CO2, eliminating 738,000 tons of NOx, and eliminating 37,000 tons of particulate matter.