About Interior Doors
Contemporary Doors Balance Cool Chic With Warmer Style
One of the most popular home styles among homeowners is contemporary, based on findings from the Perfect Home Survey spearheaded by JELD-WEN, a leading manufacturer of windows and doors. However, while loved for its sleek and hip and cool style, contemporary designs are sometimes met with skepticism by those who fear a “cold” or “sterile” effect.
JELD-WEN’s Contemporary Custom Wood doors raise the style temperature a few extra degrees with the best of modern design, plus options that can add warmth and distinctive style. JELD-WEN features a variety of wood species, rich finishes and options such as metallic inlays, glass and stylish panel profiles to achieve a perfect modern design balance depending on individual preferences.
Available species choices for JELD-WEN® Custom Wood interior and exterior doors include mahogany, alder, walnut, cherry, maple, fir as well as exotic wood, which can be highlighted with a variety of finishes – ranging from the deepest dark to lighter shades. Depending on the desired look, homeowners can accentuate unique woodgrains or downplay variation to achieve a more unified appearance.JELD-WEN’s customization capabilities also include accents such as decorative glass and metallic inlays, available in stainless steel or copper. Each design element can be used to either enhance a very modern, sleek look, or help add a sense of warmth by incorporating more traditional, classic features.
“Our Contemporary doors reflect essential modern style through the use of light, clean lines and bold geometry. It’s possible to go very dramatic or more subtle with just a hint of modern influence,” said Derek Brosterhous, director of product marketing for JELD-WEN® doors. “It all depends on your preference and the look you want to achieve.”
To warm up cool modern design, JELD-WEN suggests the following tips:
- Highlight interesting grain patterns. Distinctive grain patterns can make modern design seem more approachable and can even help clean lines be more bold than boring. Juxtaposition horizontal and vertical lines to highlight unique grains and add interest.
- Incorporate traditional details. If you’re worried about modern design being too cold, consider adding some traditional elements. Warmer classic details such as reed glass, copper metallic accents and traditional woods such as cherry and walnut can help soften a contemporary edge.
- Use color tones to match a mood. In general, medium shades and wood tones warm up modern design. Uniform grain wood with a deep dark finish is typically more dramatic – such as an alder door with an ebony finish. Can’t decide? Take advantage of JELD-WEN’s ability to customize doors using a combination of species or finishes.
- Don’t be afraid of glass. Sometimes labeled as too sterile, glass is a modern material that can also be used to bring softness and a sense of openness to a space. Frosted, ripple or styles such as Seedy Baroque or even colored glass add interest with unique light reflection, while also offering privacy. For the exterior, beautiful glass accents can also be energy efficient as JELD-WEN offers ENERGY STAR®. qualified choices as well.
- Add some great curves. Clean, perfectly straight lines are synonymous with modern design. However, don’t be afraid to soften the lines by adding gentle curves, molding or other geometric shapes to lend character or reflect personal style.