About Exterior Doors
Anatomy of an Exterior Door
Make a lasting first impression with your front door, and consider the more practical, everyday use your family needs from a back or side door.
- All Panel – This style of door is an assembly comprised of stiles (vertical pieces), and rails (horizontal pieces) inserted into the door frame.
- Glass Panel – A glass panel door consists of a glass door that opens onto an entrance, patio, deck or backyard of a house. The door panel is comprised of stiles, rails and glass to allow for viewing.
- Dutch – Dutch doors are constructed in two pieces, allowing the upper section to be opened independently of the lower.
View our Exterior Doors by Style
We combine high quality materials with a smart manufacturing process for durability and beauty.
- Fiberglass – This material features both the feel and look of genuine wood, right down to the knots and cracks, with less upkeep. In fact, these doors are built to consistently withstand the rigors of any climate - hot or cold, wet or dry.
- Wood – Wood comes from trees that grow in a variety of species, such as fir, pine, mahogany or alder. Each species has a range of characteristics, like grain, color and sap content, which contributes to its unique appearance.
- Steel – An economical option, steel offers strength and durability and is a good choice for most climates. These doors are also treated to deliver superior rust-resistance. They will require only minimal maintenance (in especially moist areas, they may require minor upkeep).
- Engineered Composite - FiberLast® Engineered Composite doors are made with a patented technology that combines weathering resistance, durability and dent resistance. They are stable even in extreme temperatures.
JELD-WEN offers you choices when looking for windows and doors. Keep in mind when you choose your product, the dollar sign is an indicator of the general price of a particular product. Dollar sign ratings do not necessarily reflect all the options or services that might be available for each product, and some options or services may not be available in every location or for every product with a particular dollar sign rating.
- $ – These products focus on the budget conscious. The products meet the basic requirements for your project, while offering moderate aesthetic enhancements.
- $$ – These products distinguish themselves with additional options, features and benefits. There is a noticeable upgrade in terms of customizability and selection.
- $$$ – These luxury products exhibit an exceptionally high degree of options, features and customizability. They can be a standard design or an original masterpiece that feature elegant options, exceptional craftsmanship and meticulous detail.
How It’s Built
From choosing the right materials to putting it all together, we put quality and reliability first.
- The Core – All of our doors look and feel solid, but may use different materials inside the core to improve its fire rating, soundproofing or structural integrity.
- The Skin – We know Exterior Doors can take a beating from the weather, and that’s why we give equal weight to durability and beauty in crafting the door’s skin or surface finish.
- Prehung – We offer prehung door packages to ensure an easy installation with a precise fit.
- Building Codes – These are published ordinances that will regulate many aspects of your project, such as design loads, opening widths and material selection. Our doors are designed and tested with these local building codes in mind.
Style & Design
Greet your guests in style with doors that bring out the personality of your home.
- Design Styles – We know that distinctive homes deserve accuracy in every detail. From Art Deco to Victorian, we believe that doors are not just functional, but an essential part of enhancing the architectural style of your home.
- Choices for Your Entire Home – We offer a greater depth and breadth of window and door products than anyone else - from the outside to the inside of the home; that means you can create a unified look for your entire home.
- Panels – Every door starts as a blank slate waiting for you to pick the number, shape and placement of panels to match your design vision.
- Sticking – We offer a variety of options for the Sticking, which is the detailing around the perimeter of the panels or glass on a door.
- Texture – From smooth or handhewn to distressed or hammered, the texture of a door can transform a door from modern to old world.
Energy and the Environment
At JELD-WEN, we put our concern for the environment into everything we do, so that energy savings and peace of mind are built right into your home.
- ENERGY STAR® – We have been an ENERGY STAR partner since 1998, and offer a wide variety of windows and doors that meet or exceed their standards.
- Green Building Initiative – We belong to the Green Building Initiative, which promotes credible and practical green building approaches to residential and commercial construction.
- Locally Sourced – We build your windows and doors in the nearest facility, and source our materials locally whenever possible, in to reduce our carbon footprint and support local economies.
- Reduced VOCs – We are a leader in reducing volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions, resulting in fewer toxins being emitted in the air in both the manufacturing process and the products in your home.
- Recycled Materials – One way we support sustainable construction is by using recycled materials in the production of our FiberLast® Engineered Composite doors. In fact, each one features Scientific Certification Systems (SCS) certified door slab made using 35% recycled content.
- Sustainable Products - Our Custom Wood doors offer Juniper, which has been identified as an "invasive specie" in certain regions and is an environmentally sound choice for a couple of reasons. First, since Juniper is typically seen as a throwaway wood, using it to make doors prevents waste. Using Juniper also removes the threat it can cause to our native forests and grasslands due to its high water consumption.
We offer more glass options than you can imagine, from subtly textured to boldly colored. These options let you add individuality to our doors while increasing natural light and energy efficiency in your home.
- Energy Efficient Glass – Stay cool in summer, warm in winter, and protect furniture against fading from sunlight. Look for our ENERGY STAR qualified doors for increased energy savings.
- Protective Glass – Your home should be protected from dangers such as storms, intruders, fire, loud noises and wear on the products. Selecting glass options such as impact resistant glass, tempered glass, sound reducing glass and options that protect the glass help accomplish these goals.
- Textured Glass - Add a distinctive touch to our doors with textured glass, which lets in light while maintaining privacy.
- Tinted Glass – Our tinted glass is ideal for climates with intense sunlight. It reduces glare and visible light transmittance.
- Decorative Glass - This glass will brighten your home without compromising privacy. With all the decorative glass designs we offer, there is sure to be one to match your home's architectural style.
It is vital to correctly install and finish our doors, so we've provided instructions to help you. If you are not sure of your door model, search for it on the website or contact Customer Support.
As part of our continued commitment to quality, we back our doors with the best warranties in the industry. These warranties are very important and vary depending on products and options selected. Correct installation is also key. When installing products, please pay careful attention to correctly install and maintain your door or warranty claims may be denied. Review the warranty for installation requirements, transferability and repair and replacement labor.
View our Warranty Information