JELD-WEN Expands Window Opening Control Devices to Include Vinyl Horizontal Sliding Windows
KLAMATH FALLS, Ore. – When it comes to home safety, windows provide a crucial escape route in the case of a fire or emergency. But because certain windows are required to open, homeowners must also take measures to prevent window falls. With the new JELD-WEN Window Opening Control Devices, homeowners now have another effective option in helping to prevent falls.
JELD-WEN is expanding the availability of its Window Opening Control Devices (WOCD) to include more styles of windows, which means homeowners now have more ways to improve window fall prevention. The WOCD gives homeowners the ability to automatically control the window opening to help prevent accidental falls and to meet egress codes that require windows to meet safety standards for providing emergency exits in certain rooms, such as bedrooms. With the JELD-WEN WOCD, the window sash stops at about 3 ¾″, but features a manual override mechanism for emergency escape and rescue. The device automatically resets after the sash is fully closed.
The JELD-WEN WOCD is a factory-installed option that meets the the ASTM F2090 standard as referenced in the 2006 and 2009 International Building Code (IBC), and International Residential Code (IRC). These devices are available on nearly all wood, clad-wood and vinyl operable windows, including:
- Wood and Clad-Wood Double-Hung/Single-Hung Windows
- Wood and Clad-Wood Casement Windows
- Vinyl Double-Hung Window
- Vinyl Single-Hung Windows
- Vinyl Casement Windows
- Vinyl Horizontal Sliding Windows
Window Safety Checklist
These devices are one of many actions homeowners can take to help prevent falls. JELD-WEN, a member of the National Safety Council’s Window Safety Task Force, is working to raise awareness of National Window Safety Week, which occurs during the first full week of April by reminding homeowners to consider other safety measures, including:
- Close and lock your windows when children are around.
- Never depend on insect screens to prevent falls. Insect screens are designed to provide ventilation while keeping insects out. They will not hold a child’s weight against them.
- Be sure to keep furniture – or anything children can climb – away from windows.
- If you need ventilation, open only windows children cannot reach.
- Teach children not to play near windows.
- Unattended children run the greatest risk of falls and injuries. Nothing can substitute for responsible adult supervision.
About JELD-WENJELD-WEN is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of windows and doors. JELD-WEN has 20,000 employees across more than 100 locations in the Americas, Europe, Asia and Australia. The company’s extensive product offering encompasses windows, exterior doors, interior doors and related building products that are sold globally through multiple distribution channels, including retail home centers, wholesale distributors and building products dealers. JELD-WEN has been an ENERGY STAR Partner since 1998. For more information on JELD-WEN, visit www.jeld-wen.com.